Terms and Conditions of Application and Participation in GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition
1. Liability: VentureWell does not endorse any submission or any opinion, recommendation, or advice expressed therein, and expressly disclaims any and all liability in connection with submissions.
2. Intellectual Property Rights: VentureWell does not permit infringement of any intellectual property rights and will disqualify any submission if properly notified that a submission’s contents infringe on another’s rights. In connection with submissions, applicants affirm, represent, and/or warrant that they own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize VentureWell to use all patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright, or other proprietary rights in and to any and all submissions to enable inclusion and use of the submissions in the manner contemplated by VentureWell and these Terms and Conditions.
3. Agreement of Terms and Conditions: By submitting an application, the applicant agrees to all of the rights, permissions, and terms and conditions as contained in this document.
4. Non-Exclusive Rights to Submitted Material: By entering the GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition, applicants agree that VentureWell and the U.S. Department of State shall have the nonexclusive right to use all submitted materials for promotional purposes, in perpetuity throughout the world and in any and all media for no payment or other compensation. All submitted materials, including videos, may be used by VentureWell and the U.S. Department of State for the purpose of communication, training, outreach, promotional activities, and other purposes. By entering the Competition each applicant agrees to grant VentureWell and the U.S. Department of State an irrevocable, royalty-free license to use the video entered for publications and promotional activities including, but not limited to, the competition website, GIST initiative associated websites, social media pages, as well as any other promotional activities of both VentureWell and the Department of State.
5. Third Party Material: Applicants further agree that they will not submit material that is copyrighted by a third party, protected by trade secret, or otherwise subject to third-party proprietary rights, including privacy and publicity rights, unless the applicant is the owner of such rights or has permission from their rightful owner to submit the material.
6. Rights, Licenses, Consent, and Permission: By entering the competition, applicants warrant and confirm that they grant and have obtained all necessary rights, licenses, consents and permissions from all persons rendering performances in relation to their video(s), including but not limited to consents from all persons whose performances are reproduced in the video(s) or otherwise in order that VentureWell and the U.S. Department of State may make the fullest use of the video(s). If any such consents, permissions or any clearances have not been properly and legally obtained, then the entrant, upon submitting the video(s), agrees to indemnify and keep VentureWell and the U.S. Department of State fully indemnified from and against any claim, damage, loss (whether foreseeable or not), liability or cost including reasonable legal fees arising out of any failure to obtain such consents.
7. Legality: By entering the competition, applicants warrant and confirm that the applicant is in compliance with all laws applicable to the application and the work proposed.
8. Offensive, Inappropriate, Derogatory, or Libelous Materials: Regarding the promotional video, any form of violence, profanity, sexually explicit content, libel and/or attacks on individuals or organizations may not be depicted. Videos should not invade privacy, reveal other people’s personal information or display predatory behavior. Videos must not contain material that promotes intolerance, harassment, intimidation, racism, hatred or harm against any group, individual or organization or promote discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age. VentureWell reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and delete any application it deems to be offensive, inappropriate, derogatory and libelous, or not in keeping with the competition theme or that is otherwise not in compliance with the official GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition terms and conditions.
9. Lost or Damaged Materials: VentureWell accepts no responsibility for applications lost, delayed, misdirected, damaged or undelivered. Incomplete, non-compliant and/or illegible entries will be disqualified. VentureWell shall not be responsible for technical errors in telecommunications networks, Internet access or otherwise, preventing entry to the competition.
10. Publicity: By entering the GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition, applicants acknowledge that they may be featured in publicity without further consent. Such publicity may include without limitation the applicant’s video, and their name and/or likeness, voice, photographs and/or video footage of the applicant, biographical information provided by the entrants/winners and/or any statement made by them concerning the competition and/or the prizes. Applicants agree that any or all such elements may be used by VentureWell and the U.S. Department of State in any and all media in perpetuity throughout the world. Nevertheless, VentureWell and the U.S. Department of State shall have no obligation to include an entrant in any publicity whatsoever.
11. Plagiarism: By entering the GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition, the applicant certifies that materials submitted in the application are the original work of the applicants (see Appendix B). All applications advancing to the semi-final stage will be screened electronically to validate that writing is that of the applicant and not taken from other sources. No application containing plagiarized writing will be funded under this competition.
12. Reporting: All applicants who advance to become Finalists commit to provide VentureWell with reasonable assistance in communicating the outcomes and impacts to the public of their work. Prize recipients commit to providing a report six months following the receipt of their prize money.
13. Export Control: VentureWell complies with all U.S. laws and regulations and applicable international law pertaining to export controls and to the participation of foreign nationals or institutions in its activities. It is VentureWell’s policy not to conduct any transactions with U.S. restricted entities without appropriate authorization from the U.S. Government, including licenses and other permits and restrictions. VentureWell reserves the right to restrict the participation of any individual or institution in its programs.
14. Intellectual Property Rights to Work Produced Under Prizes: VentureWell makes no claim to intellectual property rights to any work created under any prize. However, VentureWell shall have the right to share information provided by participants regarding outcomes and impacts of the GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition participation with the U.S. Department of State and to publicize the program through summaries of participants’ reports and other means.
15. Dissemination: VentureWell reserves the right to publicly disseminate general information about submissions. Such information may include: the number of proposals received; the names of applicants and applicant organizations; the applicant’s citizenship; titles of proposed activities; and sector(s) in which the work is proposed. For teams receiving prizes, VentureWell reserves the right to publicly disseminate descriptions of proposals funded, as well as reports about progress and outcomes. All finalists will be expected to provide VentureWell with reasonable assistance in communicating the outcomes and impacts to the public of their work.
18. Protection of Confidential Information: Demographic information collected from application materials, including gender, citizenship, and residency, will not be shared with the expert review panelists and judges. For semi-finalists and finalists, limited personal information (e.g., name and citizenship), may be made publically available in promotional materials and specifically as part of the voting process and associated applicant profile. Applicants will be made aware of this prior to information being made publically available.
Information collected from voters during the voting phase of the competition, including name and email, will not be stored unless the voter’s explicit approval is given for VentureWell to contact the individual with information updates for the GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition. No information will be shared with outside third parties.
VentureWell assumes that no business confidential information will be disclosed by an applicant including the initial application and the pitch presentation. No non-disclosure agreements will be signed by participants, Department of State staff, VentureWell staff or judges. All pitches will be open to the public.
19. Cheating during the online voting period: During the public voting period, only one vote is permitted per person, per day. The competitors will not engage in any cheating behavior by using voting bots, paid voters, hacking etc. If it is determined that a competitor has illegitimately manipulated the results, he or she will be immediately disqualified.
Definitive Version of this Announcement
For explanatory purposes or for clarification, this competition announcement and associated documents will only be available in the English language and this version shall serve as the definitive version. Should VentureWell amend or make corrections or clarifications to this announcement, applicants will be promptly notified.
Additional Information and Support
Questions and correspondence regarding this competition announcement should be directed to the VentureWell GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition Team (please see contact information below). Applicants are requested to identify themselves in all correspondence and to put the phrase “GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition” in the email subject line. VentureWell may choose not to disclose certain information in a response to any question or query, if in our view such details would affect the fairness or transparency of the competition or convey an undue advantage to an applicant. VentureWell also reserves the right to disclose to all other applicants an answer or clarification to a question from an applicant in the interest of fairness, objectivity, and transparency of this competition.
VentureWell reserves the right to amend, modify or change any of the terms and conditions at any time and without prior notice by posting the amended terms on the GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition website, www.gistnetwork.org/content/gist-catalyst-pitch-competitionThe amended terms and conditions shall automatically be effective upon posting on the GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition website.
Attn: GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition Team
E-mail: [email protected]