Across the globe, early-stage investment has grown exponentially. The investment ecosystem is evolving and becoming much more sophisticated, which has had an increasingly positive impact on science and technology-based startups. As the ecosystem continues to grow, it’s imperative for startups to understand the emerging trends in angel investing, corporate investing, venture capital firms, financial institutions, and government investment. Learning best practices for leveraging these resources for their growth is vital for securing capital. Tune in to the next TechConnect to gain a global perspective on the direction of early-stage equity investments.
This GIST TechConnect will be live-streamed alongside the virtual Annual Angel Capital Association (ACA) Summit. The ACA represents over 14,000 angel investors and over 250 investment groups within North America. The ACA Summit will convene the world’s top angel investors, venture capitalists, and entrepreneurs to discuss the trends, opportunities, and growth in the angel investment community. Our panel of experts will be global thought leaders, experienced investors, and top angel managers in the field. Join us for this unique opportunity to ask questions of these trailblazers, while gaining a full perspective on the global angel investment ecosystem!
Sally Allain, MSc., MBA
Head, JLABS @ Washington, DC
As Head of JLABS @ Washington, DC, Sally sets the strategic direction and oversees all operational activities for JLABS in the greater Washington metro region, including Maryland and Virginia. In this role, Sally is responsible for the process of evaluating and selecting a strong portfolio of innovators for JLABS @ Washington, DC, and building strategic partnerships with corporate, academic, government and industry organizations that aim to strengthen the region’s life sciences innovation network.
Sally joined JLABS after serving as Senior Director, Strategy & Operations on the Global External Innovation team at Johnson & Johnson, where she supported portfolio management and reporting and strategic business development efforts across the organization.
Meet the Panelists
Managing Director, P&G Ventures
Alan S. Goldstein is the Managing Director P&G Ventures. He is a passionate innovator with a relentless pursuit to deliver game-changing consumer experiences. He has more than 25 years of experience delivering Disruptive Market, Open Innovation, Design, and Consumer Products Innovation.
Alan’s sustainable track record of delivering new-to-the-world innovations across P&G businesses has included the creation of new brands such Febreze, Swiffer and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. He currently leads several areas within P&G Ventures, developing new businesses with an emphasis on external partnerships. Alan has more than 30 granted patents.
Managing Partner, MiLA Capital
Noramay Cadena is a Managing Partner at MiLA Capital, an early-stage venture capital firm she cofounded in Los Angeles focused on funding tech you can touch. Previously, she spent over a decade at Boeing leading teams working on new complex aviation/aerospace programs. Noramay is also a Kauffman Fellow, a lead investor in Portfolia's Rising America fund, and a founding member of Latinx VC. Noramay holds a MBA, a Master’s in Engineering Systems and a Bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
-Listen to a panel of experts discuss best practices for startups engaging with corporations
-Ask the experts your questions about strategic partnerships
-Learn the best ways to increase engagement through fundraising
About GIST TechConnect
GIST TechConnects provides entrepreneurs around the world with direct access to leading U.S. experts from business and academia, but without the travel and other related costs. Young science and technology entrepreneurs can engage with experts and the larger GIST community to learn about best business practices and startup resources.
- GIST TechConnects are live webinars in which a panel of experts and thought-leaders discuss topics of importance to early-stage, science and technology innovators from across the globe.
- Viewers of TechConnects can ask questions directly to the panel of speakers through an accompanying chat-space next to the TechConnect video.
- TechConnects are regularly live-translated into French and Spanish to ensure that viewers from across the globe can engage and benefit from the program.
- GIST TechConnects provides entrepreneurs around the world with direct access to leading U.S. experts from business and academia, but without the travel and other related costs.
- Young science and technology entrepreneurs can engage with experts and the larger GIST community to learn about best business practices and startup resources.
- In addition to the panel of experts answering questions, there is a Chatspace Expert responding to all questions and comments made in the chatspace - providing insights, sharing critical resources, and enabling conversation among innovators across the globe.
Why you should host a viewing group and promote the TC’s to your network:
- Increased Knowledge: Innovators from across the globe get unparalleled access to experts to answer their burning questions about building and growing a startup. From how to raise an investment, to understanding marketing best practices, innovators can gain important insights and knowledge.
- Connecting to broader GIST network: You’ll be able to connect to the broader global GIST network and get access to additional resources, such as GIST Pitch Competitions, GIST Startup Trainings, and access to the entire GIST TechConnect video library.
- Engaging your local ecosystem: Hosting a viewing group is also a great opportunity to engage your community's innovators--viewing groups often host a local speaker series or event in tandem with the GIST TechConnect, to capitalize on having all of your innovators together.
- Exposure to GIST community: Photos of viewing groups are highlighted at the end of each live TechConnect, which is watched by viewers across the globe.
If you plan to host a viewing group please contact Samer Yousif who will guide you through the TechConnect hosting best practices.
If you have questions about GIST programming please send us an email at [email protected].
Watch past online programs here.