The spotlight on healthcare innovation has never been more intense and urgent as it is today. Across the globe, governments, corporations, universities, and startups are feverishly working to develop new healthtech, biotech, and medtech solutions to address our most pressing global issues. This degree of innovation and collaboration is unprecedented. From new diagnostic tests for diseases to innovative telehealth solutions, our world is entering a new generation of healthcare.
This GIST TechConnect was co-hosted with JLABS @ Washington, DC. Johnson & Johnson Innovation – JLABS is a global network of open innovation ecosystems, enabling and empowering innovators across a broad healthcare spectrum including pharmaceutical, medical device, consumer and health tech sectors to create and accelerate the delivery of life-saving, life-enhancing health and wellness solutions to patients around the world.
Tina McGrath, Sr. Manager, Johnson & Johnson Innovation, JLABS
Tina is Global Engagement and QuickFire Challenge Sr. Manager at Johnson & Johnson Innovation, JLABS. She is responsible for marketing, communications, and events associated with QuickFire Challenges - the JLABS platform for the scientific community to apply diverse perspectives to solving healthcare challenges. In this role, Tina oversees the communication and marketing strategy for global QuickFire Challenges, recruiting high-quality, diverse applicants. She also manages the content and communication strategy for the growing portfolio of QuickFire Challenge awardees. Her diverse experience includes founding a CPG company, working in operations at a hedge fund, and teaching at both Monmouth University & Barry University. Tina earned both her MBA and BS from Fordham University
Meet the Panelists
Dr. Lola Adeyemi, COO, Magna Carta Health
Lola Adeyemi, MD, MPH, MLA is a physician by profession but an entrepreneur by design. Whether starting her own preventative health company, launching a healthcare technology app, or beginning a social impact company that empowers young women to pursue their dreams and reach the highest heights, she pursues her passions of improving people’s lives and their communities. As the Chief Operations Officer and co-founder of Magna Carta Health, she is changing the game in preventative healthcare in Nigeria. In her role, she bridges health care gaps and increases access to healthcare with the aid of technology. Magna Carta Health currently serves 15,000 patients a year and counting.
Christina York, Founder, Spellbound
Christina York is an entrepreneur, start-up starter, experimenter, team builder, and technology visionary who is passionate about user experience and patient experience. She is a guest lecturer at University of Michigan as well as the grand prize winner of the GIST Catalyst Pitch Competition in 2019.
John M. Collins, Ph.D., COO, CIMIT
John is the Chief Operating Officer of CIMIT, the Consortia for Improving Medicine with Innovation and Technology. Based at Mass General Hospital, CIMIT has grown over its 20-years to include 14 of the greater Boston area’s premier academic medical centers, universities, and labs along with an expanding network of US and international affiliates. He has led CIMIT’s efforts to codify, improve, and share its methodology through its CoLab and GAITS web platforms as well as its CRAASH program which has allowed CIMIT to scale its impact well beyond Boston. He received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, and an M.S. and Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He is a frequent speaker and holds over 20 US patents.
About GIST TechConnect
GIST TechConnects provides entrepreneurs around the world with direct access to leading U.S. experts from business and academia, but without the travel and other related costs. Young science and technology entrepreneurs can engage with experts and the larger GIST community to learn about best business practices and startup resources.
- GIST TechConnects are live webinars in which a panel of experts and thought-leaders discuss topics of importance to early-stage, science and technology innovators from across the globe.
- Viewers of TechConnects can ask questions directly to the panel of speakers through an accompanying chat-space next to the TechConnect video.
- TechConnects are regularly live-translated into French and Spanish to ensure that viewers from across the globe can engage and benefit from the program.
- GIST TechConnects provides entrepreneurs around the world with direct access to leading U.S. experts from business and academia, but without the travel and other related costs.
- Young science and technology entrepreneurs can engage with experts and the larger GIST community to learn about best business practices and startup resources.
- In addition to the panel of experts answering questions, there is a Chatspace Expert responding to all questions and comments made in the chatspace - providing insights, sharing critical resources, and enabling conversation among innovators across the globe.
Why you should host a viewing group and promote the TC’s to your network:
- Increased Knowledge: Innovators from across the globe get unparalleled access to experts to answer their burning questions about building and growing a startup. From how to raise an investment, to understanding marketing best practices, innovators can gain important insights and knowledge.
- Connecting to broader GIST network: You’ll be able to connect to the broader global GIST network and get access to additional resources, such as GIST Pitch Competitions, GIST Startup Trainings, and access to the entire GIST TechConnect video library.
- Engaging your local ecosystem: Hosting a viewing group is also a great opportunity to engage your community's innovators--viewing groups often host a local speaker series or event in tandem with the GIST TechConnect, to capitalize on having all of your innovators together.
- Exposure to GIST community: Photos of viewing groups are highlighted at the end of each live TechConnect, which is watched by viewers across the globe.
If you plan to host a viewing group please contact Samer Yousif who will guide you through the TechConnect hosting best practices.
If you have questions about GIST programming please send us an email at [email protected].
Watch past online programs here.